April is an official Car Care Month. In April, as winter comes to an end, it is time to get your car ready for spring driving and summer road trips! National Car Care Month reminds you to take care of any issues that may have occurred or been ignored during winter. Spring driving brings its own hazard such as slick, wet roads. It is important to make sure you tires; brakes and windshield wiper are ready for the rain. Here are a couple of the most important things to do with your car in April before hitting the road:
1. Check all fluids, including engine oil, power steering, brake and transmission as well as windshield washer solvent and antifreeze/coolant.
2. Check the hoses and belts to make sure they are not cracked, brittle, frayed, loose or showing signs of excessive wear.
3. Check the tires, including tire pressure and tread. Uneven wear indicates a need for wheel alignment. Tires should also be checked for bulges and bald spots.
4. Check the wipers and lighting so that you can see and be seen. Check that all interior and exterior lighting is working properly and replace worn wiper blades so you can see clearly when driving during precipitation
5. Inspect the exhaust system for leaks, damage and broken supports or hangers if there is an unusual noise. Exhaust leaks can be dangerous and must be corrected without delay.
6. Check the heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) system as proper heating and cooling performance is critical for interior comfort and for safety reasons such as defrosting.
7. Inspect the steering and suspension system annually including shock absorbers, struts and chassis parts such as ball joints, tie rod ends and other related components.
Much of this maintenance can be accomplished with a little bit of elbow grease, but if you’re not comfortable getting under the hood, be sure to schedule a service appointment with your preferred local provider. Remember, preventative maintenance is the best way to keep your car running safe as the weather changes. Plus, it will ensure you minimize the impact on your wallet in the long run.
JK Volvo is located at 1587 East Walnut in Pasadena. You can reach JK Volvo at (626) 792-2240. You can visit them at www.jkvolvospecialists.com.